You may be seeing some ads on the site these last two days of May; I'm just being a bit frugal with our donations. To make these days at the end of the month ad-free I'd have to "use up" a whole block of 50,000 page views... which normally would cover about 5 days.
I note that we are still probably going to burn through the monthly recurring "page views" provided by our Benefactors (recurring contributors). This will regularly eat in to the "reserve" created by our Supporters (one time contributions that are "banked" until I activate them).
IF YOU ARE INCLINED AND FINANCIALLY ABLE: please consider becoming a Benefactor. A bargain at $6/month. I'd like to see if we can russle-up about 2 to 4 more.
You can pick a monthly subscription, starting at $6/mo. Or you can do a one-time donation in varying amounts (say, 10,000,000 page views for $1600 ) - if you do a one-time, select not to apply them, and Admin can apply them as-needed.
You know, if what I've seen here today that look vaguely like ads is what no having paid for no-ads looks like, it's really quite acceptable. If the banners at top and bottom of the page (I am viewing through Chrome on an iPhone, I don't know what it looks like on a computer) are all the ads there are, I kind of vote for not worrying about paying to stay ad-free. Now, if the ads were pop-ups or irritating ads that cover part of the bottom of the screen constantly that would be a different story...
Edited to add: of course as soon as I post this I see no ads anymore.
1) I have recently reconfigured that non-members DO see the ads. (Otherwise, non-members are eating up our ad-free views.)
2) So, if you want to see how "terrible" the ads look, either logout and browse the site a bit, or use the "Private" or "Incongnito" mode of your browser.
3) I kind of agree with Helen that they are not so terrible. So I do appreciate our supporters / benefactors... but I'm not going to sweat it too much if our usage outstrips our donors and we have to put up with (read: ignore) the ads.
4) If you saw these ads on May 30 or 31, that is because I didn't want to "spend" a block of 50,000 ad-free page views when we'd only use ~10 to 15,000 of them.
5) If you saw ads on June 2 or 3, maybe you were not logged in. If you were, then it must have been some other ProBoards glitch... or I have it wrong that our "usage counts" re-start on the first of the month.
2) BEFORE you select an "Ad-Free Type" from the dropdown, scroll to the MIDDLE of the page: click the "Log In Here" link from the section "Your Forum Account".
Well, this is not required, per se. If you do login then: - You'll have access to the "recurring donation option". - If you donate one time or recurring, I'll be able to see the login that provided the donation.
EITHER WAY (logged in or not) I CANNOT SEE YOUR REAL NAME OR ANY CREDIT CARD INFO. ProBoards knows that, but it is NOT shared with me or the mods.
3) Now regard the top section, and select an "Ad-Free Type" of your liking: a one-time contribution of $8 (or multiples), OR a recurring contribution of $6/month.
I want to thank itsjustus for becoming our most recent "Forum Benefactor". He and three others each chip in a $6 per month to keep this forum ad-free. (You'll know who they are when you see the "Forum Benefactor" title under the "stars" in the left-hand panel.
When I asked if I could publicly thank him, he replied:
EP saved my life and I want to "pay it forward" I did there, and since all the people who helped me so much...like baza (of course. Lol) and now smilin61 , and many others!
I'm incredibly proud of this sentiment, and for ALL the support offered here: financial, but more importantly: emotional.
Another "thank you" is in order: petrushka made a one-time contirbution, and now earns the title "Forum Supporter".
FYI, here's how ProBoards works as far as paying for an "Ad-Free" experience:
- ProBoards counts "page views". So every time a member clicks on a link that opens a page on the forum, that is is a "page view". - Each of our monthly contributions gives us 50,000 page views each month. - If we stay under that limit, we see no ads. - If we go over, THEN we start to "use up" the One-Time contributions. They are each good for 50,000 page views as well.
At this point we seem to have "the right amount" of monthly benefactors, and have a comfortable "buffer" of one time contributions.
BTW: Non-members DON'T use up page views; they still see ads.
Thank you all, and especially to our Benefactors and Supporters.
WOW.... sometime in the past few months our usage must have SKYROCKETED, as we have blown through not only our "ad-free" page allowance for the month, but also all the "extra dollops" of page views that were from one time contributions.
Would anyone be willing to step up with a recurring (or one-time) contribution to keep the forum ad-free?
How are we doing with having enough contributions to keep the forum add free?
Frankly, I'd feel a bit better if we had a few more members sponsoring us with "monthly subscriptions"; any one interested? $6/month gives us 50,000 member page views; unregistered lurkers do see ads and don't consume paid "page views". Oh... and you get the term "Forum Benefactor" under your name.
At this time, we have so few monthly subscriptions we are "burning up" approximately 2 to 3 of our "one time 50,000 page view" donations per month... which will leave us "empty" before the end of the year. Downside: we'll all start seeing add about 10 days in to the month.
If you are hankering to donate w/o spousal sniffing and are forced to use a "credit card", maybe you can purchase a pre-paid debit card. Alas, there are sometimes fees with those, and sometimes you have to jump through hoops to use those for online purchases.
itme, thank you for your effort here. You aren't being ignored on purpose. I flagged your post for Admin's attention, but he is away from the forums for a bit and I don't have an answer to your question.
This the "Shoutbox" -- basically a site-wide, group chat. (It's only visible to members.)
worksforme2: Happy Birthday shamwow...
Oct 11, 2022 4:42:45 GMT -5
worksforme2: Happy Birthday greatcoastal,.....
Oct 14, 2022 8:05:03 GMT -5
worksforme2: I'm reading about flash flooding in south east Australia. I think that might be near you Baz. Are you located on high ground?
Oct 14, 2022 10:16:46 GMT -5
greatcoastal: Thanks for the B.D. wishes! Dinner with a friend tonight and B.D. dance with the Ladies tomorrow!
Oct 14, 2022 16:38:40 GMT -5
petrushka: Hope you haven't had to resort to snorkles yet, Baza. I just saw a figure of 12m for some place. Yeesh. And according to the flood warning map you're in the red zone...
Oct 15, 2022 6:09:38 GMT -5
worksforme2: Happy Birthday misssunnybunny.....
Oct 23, 2022 5:06:17 GMT -5
wewbwb: The best of birthday wishes to misssunnybunny , a special woman who deserves the best!
Oct 23, 2022 9:56:58 GMT -5
petrushka: Ditto, many happy returns!
Oct 24, 2022 1:27:01 GMT -5
jim44444: Was that a shootout from the long absent wewbwb?
Oct 24, 2022 17:38:53 GMT -5
misssunnybunny: Thank you for the birthday wishes! It was a very happy birthday!
Oct 25, 2022 10:05:56 GMT -5
wewbwb: Yes jim44444 I only appear on misssunnybunny birthday. But that doesn't mean I don't watch what you hooligans are up to.
Oct 25, 2022 19:03:38 GMT -5
mirrororchid: What if we say your name three times?
Oct 26, 2022 19:15:10 GMT -5